Aerial view showing the sites ear-marked for Saxton Gardens (bottom) and Quarry Hill Flats (top.) This is before slum clearance took place between 1936 and 1938. The site for Saxton Gardens was bordered on the north by Saxton Lane, on the south by Richmond Street, on the east by Church Road, Providence Street and Little Providence Street and on the west by Upper Cross Street and Flax Place. The scheme for the multi-storey flats was first approved by Leeds City Council in 1939 but building was abandoned when the Second World War broke out. The new, later scheme consisted of 7 blocks of flats with 448 dwellings containing one, two or three bedrooms, and covered an area of 10.5 acres. The first group of dwellings were completed and officially opened on 12th November 1957 by Alderman F.H. O'Donnell J.P. in the presence of the Lord Mayor, Alderman Joseph Hiley, J.P. In the bottom left-hand corner Smithies Garth Recreation Ground is visible.