View of Saxton Gardens under construction. Seven blocks of flats were built between 1955 and 1957 designed to accommodate up to 1791 residents in one, two and three bedroomed units. The flats were installed with the Garchy Systemn of refuse disposal and the underground suction pipes were linked to the Refuse Disposal Station at Quarry Hill Flats. The buildings were constructed in reinforced concrete with brickwork to the external walls. Six shops and a boiler house were also constructed on the site and a play area was designed for small children. The first of the blocks to be completed was officially opened on 12th November 1957. Recently two of the tower blocks have been redesigned by architects Union North. Work commenced in January 2007 and the renovated apartments are currently being developed and marketed by Urban Splash. The surrounding landscaping includes allotments, wild flower meadows and an orchard. The development is now called 'Saxton'.