View of Lowtown looking in the direction of the Town Hall. The building opened as the Mechanics Institute in 1880. The foundation stone was laid by Mr. William Dibb Scales of Grove House, Pudsey on 6th October in 1879. The architects were Messrs. Hope and Jardine of Bradford who had won first prize of £15 in a competition to design the building. Prior to this, Pudsey Mechanics Institute had had a number of homes but had outgrown them all. The site, at the junctions with Lowtown, Robin Lane, Lidgett Hill and Church Lane, was acquired for £1,000. Mr. Herbert Gladstone opened the new building on 10th November 1880. At that time he was Liberal MP for Leeds but became Home Secretary from 1905 to 1910. In 1912 until re-organisation in 1974 the Mechanics Institute building was used as Pudsey's Town Hall. On the right is Booth's grocer's shop and the entrance to the historic Booth's yard. On the left is the junction with Manor House Street, a shop called Gingerbread and the Co-op.