View shows East Ardsley Colliery, also known as Holliday's Pit. Robert Holliday & Sons started to sink two shafts here in 1872, on land leased from the Cardigan estate. A third shaft was sunk in 1877. By 1899 the colliery produced 200,000 tons annually, making it the 11th largest Yorkshire coalfield. In 1923 it was taken over by Henry Briggs, Son & Co., who ran it until nationalisation in 1947. The colliery was closed in 1968 and the site landscaped.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.