View shows tram no. 278 at Stainbeck Corner, the junction of Stainbeck Lane and Harrogate Road. No. 278, seen here on route 2 to Chapeltown, was one of three trams purchased from the London Passenger Transport Board in 1939. These were the HR/2 class, or 'Hilly Route' cars, specifically built for tram routes on hills in London. No. 278 was withdrawn from service in 1957 and disposed of shortly after. In the background of the picture are Midgleys shop on the left and Midland Bank on the right.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.