View of a Grade II listed shop property at number 22 Lowtown at the corner with Booth's Yard, formerly Hammerton Fold. It takes its name from the Booth family who ran number 22 Lowtown as a Grocery, beginning with James Booth (1844-1914) in the 19th century. He was the nephew of Emanuel Mortimer, also a grocer. James Booth had been apprenticed to his uncle until 1867 when Emanuel Mortimer purchased the former chemist's, number 22 Lowtown along with property in Hammerton Fold. He entrusted his nephew with the management of the second of his grocery stores. The first was located at the corner of Crimbles Road (now Kent Road) with Lowtown. The 1881 census records James Booth at the shop seen here at the age of 37, his wife Louisa, 33, daughters, Annie Louise, 7 and Sarah Edith, 3, and 1 year-old James Cecil. A second son was born in 1886, Major William Booth. Major William Booth grew up to be a talented cricketer, and was chosen to play for Yorkshire C.C. In 1914 he joined the Leeds Pals regiment and was killed at the Battle of the Somme in 1916. The shop is built in thin coursed sandstone and is late 18th or early 19th century. The shop fronts were fitted c1880. The shop next door, to the left, number 20 Lowtown, and the whole of Booth's Yard are also Grade II listed. On the death of Emanuel Mortimer in 1889, James Booth took over and expanded the business, acquiring more property in Hammerton Fold. His son, James Cecil, continued to run the grocery from his father's death in 1914 until he himself died in 1949. Keeping the name of Jas C. Booth, as seen here, former apprentice, Harold Wallbank carried on until 1982. Image and information courtesy of John Garnett.