View from the interior of the Quarry Hill Flats complex. It shows Oastler House, named after Richard Oastler (1789-1861) who was born close by in St. Peter's Square. He campaigned on behalf of the children employed in the mills and factories and in 1847 was successful in reducing their working day to a maximum of 10 hours. The photograph of Quarry Hill Flats was taken not long before demoliton began in September 1975, so they had a life span of only 37 years or so. This was because of various structural defects and problems with the waste disposals. Quarry Hill flats housed around 3000 people in 938 separate units. The site is now occupied by the West Yorkshire Playhouse, Quarry House, the College of Music and the new BBC building. The arched gateway in this view opens onto Eastgate roundabout.