23rd August 1933.
Image shows a huge crowd of onlookers who have turned out to watch the royal procession of King George V and Queen Mary as they make their way to the Civic Hall to perform the opening ceremony. The royal carriage is preceded by Lifeguards on horseback. This is Roundhay Road and the fruiterer's business of William Stonehouse can be seen at the left edge, at number 261 Roundhay Road (Harehills Parade). People can be seen on the balconies above the fruit shop and the adjacent Midland Bank. Next to the bank is the junction with Beck Road. The photograph was taken by Jesse Schofield, a tram conductress with Leeds City Tramways.