Image shows the Old Golden Fleece located in Elland Road. Tbe brick-built, flat-roofed public house was built to replace the original Old Golden Fleece in 1934. It was the middle one of three pubs situated on Churwell Hill and became known as 't' middle oile'. The Commercial Inn was known as 't' top oile' and the New Inn as 't' low oile'. Detail from the pub sign can be seen in the inset picture, bottom left. It is an old Melbourne Brewery sign featuring 'The Courtier'. These signs are becoming rarer as time goes by. The Palace public house in the city centre, close to Leeds Parish Church still has some stained glass windows with this sign. The old Golden Fleece closed down and has since been demolished. Work has commenced on the building of a new branch of Tesco Express on the site, due to open in 2011. (It is interesting to note that the old Melbourne Brewery sign of the courtier has been incorporated into the external wall of the new Tesco building.)
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.