1st April 1954.
View of Kirkstall Road showing Chamberlain tram no. 113 travelling on route no. 4 towards Kirkstall Abbey. The railway viaduct is just visible in the distance on the left, as is the spire of St. Matthias Church. The junction with Ventnor Street can be seen on the right, with Ventnor Street Methodist Chapel on the corner. This is the area of the "alphabet" streets, a series of streets leading off Kirkstall Road beginning with each letter of the alphabet. Apart from Ventnor Street, and Wordsworth Street further along (the last one, as there was no X, Y or Z) they had all virtually gone by the time of this photograph. This area is now (2010) the site of the Yorkshire TV studios.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.