Aerial view centred on St. Mary's Church. Designed by Thomas Taylor, it was built in 1823 following the Million Act in which one million pounds of Government money was set aside for the building of churches in urban areas. St. Mary's Street is to the right of the church then St. Charles' R.C. School. Just visible at the top right corner is St. Patrick's R.C. Church with its Parochial Hall in front. St. Mary's Sunday School is behind St. Mary's Church, alongside St. Mary's Lane which runs across the top. To the left are terraced houses on New Church Place, Ward's Fold and Linsley Row. The latter two streets had been completely demolished by 1950 dating the photo to before then.