Isabella Pit, located north of Aberford Road off Ash Lane, was the first major shaft to be sunk in Garforth. Opening in 1833, it was owned by the Gascoigne family, the major landowners in the town, and named after their eldest daughter. The community of East Garforth grew up around it and 392 men lost their jobs when it closed in 1925.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.