View shows Trench Pit in Ninelands Lane, which was sunk in 1899. It was named after owner Col. Frederick Charles Trench, who married Isabella, heiress of the Gascoigne family, and took the name Trench-Gascoigne to retain the right to the estate as the Gascoignes had no surviving sons. Isabella's younger sister, Elizabeth, also married into the Trench family, becoming the wife of Frederick Mason Trench, 2nd Baron Ashtown, a cousin of Frederick Charles. Trench Pit closed in 1930 after financial difficulties arising from the 1928 General Strike, being the last of the pits in Garforth to close.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.