View shows an exposed pit shaft on the site of the old Sisters' Pit, which was found at the rear of Safeway supermarket (now Tesco), seen in the background. The shaft was 18 feet deep and in diameter. On the left is a beam from a pump engine which was discovered wedged in the shaft. The shaft was filled by throwing down timber until it jammed then topping with concrete. Sisters' Pit had been mined for coal from 1843 until 1922. Photograph courtesy of Mr. David Leroy.