Old postcard view showing the corner of Main Street background, left, and Leeds Road, foreground, right. The four cottages left of centre are, from left to right, numbers 9 to 15 Main Street. Adjacent is the New Inn at number 17 Main Street. It is first referred to by that name in the 1861 census but the buildings are thought to be of a much earlier date. There is a sign promoting John Smith's Tadcaster Ales on the exterior wall. The reverse of the postcard bears a postmark dated 21st August 1933. A hand-written message mentions the immininent royal visit to Leeds of King George V and Queen Mary when they were to perform the opening ceremony of the Civic Hall (23rd August 1933).
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.