10th May 1987.
Image shows members of the congregation of Upper Armley Methodist Church gathered together for the final service held on Sunday 10th May 1987. The church was to be demolished and rebuilt as a Community Centre with £213,000 funding via an Urban Programme grant. In the centre, towards the back, is the Minister of the Church, Reverend Gordon Lister, with Councillor John Battle, Chair of the Council's Urban Development Committee. Also in the picture are representatives of the Girls' and Boys' Brigades. The new centre was to include a luncheon club, a playgroup, adult education classes, a credit union and an advice and counselling service for families. Upper Armley Methodist Church was built in brick in the Italian style and dated from 1878.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.