Image shows the interior view of a clasroom belonging to Beeston Hill Board School, located in Beeston Road. The red brick school dates from 1880 and was built in the classic style to designs by R.L. Adams. The picture dates from the early years of the life of the school when the class teacher in charge of this room was Miss Mary Walker (1858-1911). She was the daughter of Robert Walker, the secretary of Holbeck Rugby Club in the 1890s. He was responsible for negotiating the purchase of the Elland Road ground for the club (now home to Leeds United). The photograph appears to have been taken from the perspective of Miss Walker's desk and there are many potted plants and pictures decorating the room. At the far end is a large fireplace. Desks are arranged in rows at either side and gas chandeliers are suspended from the ceiling down the centre of the classroom. Over the years the school has been known as Hillside Secondary School, Hillside Middle School and Hillside Primary School. Hillside Primary School merged with Greenwood Primary School to form New Bewerley Community School in 2005 and occupied the Hillside building until a new building was completed on the Greenwood site. Hillside was then bought by Tiger11, a community development trust. The building was reopened in 2008 as a community enterprise centre called, simply "Hillside".
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.