Image shows the west wall of the Medal Room at Lotherton Hall. At this time it was a room used by Sir Alvary and Lady Gascoigne, located in the older central part of the house. Sir Alvary's father Colonel Frederick R.T.T. Gascoigne inherited Lotherton Hall in 1893 and set about making alterations. He had this room fitted out to display his collection of medals and with mahogany bookcases for his many military books. The portrait depicts Sir Alvary as a young boy, sitting with his mother, Mrs. Laura Gwendolen Gascoigne. It was painted by Edward Hughes (1832-1908) who also painted for royalty. He was noted for his portraits of ladies. Flanking the portrait and chest of drawers are a pair of early Georgian lion-mask chairs covered in contemporary wool needlework. They date from c1735 and came from Parlington, the Gascoigne's ancestral home, when it was vacated in 1905.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.