c early 20th Century.
Early 20th century view of the South Gardens looking east towards the white summerhouse. The gardens were created by Mrs. Laura Gwendolen Gascoigne, wife of Colonel Gascoigne who inherited Lotherton Hall in 1893. The summerhouse had been the portico to the Hall when it was extended to the east side in 1896. A much larger extension to the west side was constructed in 1903 and incorporated a Drawing Room, grand entrance hall and new porte cochere so the earlier portico became a summerhouse but still retained its porcelain doorbell. Photograph by Yorkshire Post newspapers.