View through the gates of Aberford Almshouses, listed buildings on the west side of Main Street. The central entrance tower can be seen and either side are the two storey almshouses, built for retired tenants of the Gascoigne Estate, between 1843 and 1845. At any one time the 8 units supplied accommodation for 4 men and 4 women. The almshouses were designed by George Fowler Jones on behalf of sisters, Elizabeth and Mary Isabella Gascoigne to commemorate their father, Richard Oliver Gascoigne who died in 1843 and two brothers, Thomas and Richard Silver who both died in 1842. Photograph by Leslie Chapman.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.