Engraving of Methley Hall entitled 'Methley Hall in Yorkshire, the seat of the Earl of Mexborough. Several people in 18th century costume are seen strolling in the grounds. Part of the hall dated from the 15th century but was enlarged between 1588 and 1611 by Sir John Savile and his family. John Savile, born in 1719, acceded to the title of first Earl of Mexborough in 1766. The hall was used as a camp by the A.T.S. during the Second World War. It was demolished in 1958. The sculptor was Walker.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.