Group photograph taken in the grounds of Lotherton Hall, the residence of the Gascoigne family. Between 21st November 1914 and 28th March 1919 Colonel and Mrs. Gascoigne converted their home to a V.A.D. hospital. They equipped and ran it at their own expense. The photograph shows Mrs. Laura Gwendolen Gascoigne seated in the centre with her medals. She was awarded the C.B.E. in 1918 and invested as a Lady of Grace of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem. Among the staff is the quartermaster, Miss Routledge, and one of the two medical officers who gave their services on a voluntary basis. They practiced locally and were called Dr. Abbott, MBE and Doctor Sykes, MBE. The Gascoignes employed two trained nurses and two V.A.D. nurses and a ward maid, but the domestic duties were undertaken by the regular staff of Lotherton Hall. In all, 655 sick and wounded soldiers received nursing care here during the years of the Great War. Photograph from the collection of the Wingfield family.