Image shows people in costume at a charity event held at Aberford Almshouses, taken by a Yorkshire Post photographer. On the left are Laura and Bill Burlingham - Bill was the chauffer and general handyman for the Gascoignes at Lotherton Hall. In the centre are Mary Renwick, part-time secretary at Lotherton, and Dennis Wallace. On the right are Mrs. Wallace and Tom Renwick. The Almshouses were floodlit for the event. They date from 1844 and were built in the neo-Gothic style at the instigation of sisters Elizabeth and Mary Isabella Gascoigne in memory of their father, Richard Oliver Gascoigne and their two brothers. Richard Oliver Gascoigne owned Lotherton Hall which he had purchased in 1825. The Almshouses were built for retired tenants of the Gascoigne Estates and could accommodate four men and four women. In the 1990s the properties were converted and now house several businesses. They are located off the west side of the main street.