View of the Medal Room at Lotherton Hall which is situated in the central older part of the house, and may have been intended as the Drawing Room in Georgian times. Colonel Frederick R.T.T. Gascoigne inherited Lotherton Hall in 1893 and made many alterations over the years. He fitted out this room with mahogany bookcases to accommodate his many military books and put his collection of medals on display. After his death in 1937 the books were given to Leeds Library and the medal collection was dispersed. The mahogany bookcases still remain in the room, which, at the time of the photograph, was being used by Sir Alvary and Lady Gascoigne. Sir Alvary was the son of Colonel and Mrs. Gascoigne. Photograph by Ron Turner.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.