25th September 2011.
Close up view of a plaque at an old Grade II listed property in Alwoodley Lane, Moss Hall. The plaque bears the date of 1583 and the initials R.C. This is thought to have been incorporated into the present Moss Hall when it was built in the latter years of the seventeenth century. The plaque had belonged to a previous, timber framed property which had once occupied the site. Some of the timbers of the 1583 house were also used in the construction of the present Moss Hall. The earlier house is marked on Joseph Parker's map of 1682 and there is even a small drawing of it. At this time it was occupied by William Stead who leased the surrounding 117 acres of land. The name 'Moss Hall' comes from 'Great Moss' a large area of bog which made up a substantial part of William Stead's acreage.