Image shows the interior of 'Austerity car', number 104, which was built at Kirkstall Road Tram Works located in Kirkstall Road and entered service on 11th December 1943. It was built to replace its predecessor, an English Electric Chamberlain (no.104) which caught fire and was destroyed on the route between Roundhay Park and Oakwood on 3rd July 1942. The motors were rescued and utilised in the building of the new car. The term austerity comes from the plain interior and lack of comfortable, upholstered seating. As it was war-time the seating on the upper deck was of simple wooden design. This car was to be allocated to Bramley for the no.14 service between the Corn Exchange and Stanningley. In September 1948 this car was renumbered as 275 and it was finally withdrawn in 1957.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.