Interior view of Kirkstall Road Tram Works, located on the south-west side of Kirkstall Road on the banks of the River Aire. Around the time of this photograph Leeds Corporation had made it policy to build its own tram cars and the first 12 went into service between 1908 and 1909. They were Hamilton designed unvestibuled double-decker cars with open balconies. The first series were numbered 115-126. The tram works was very large, covering 2 to 3 acres. Many local people with electrial and engineering skills were employed there in the numerous sheds and workshops like this one.