View of Leeds Bradford Airport showing a hangar with several aeroplanes outside. Yeadon Airport, as it is commonly known, was opened as Yeadon Aerodrome in October 1931, operating on 60 acres of grassland by the Yorkshire Aeroplane Club on behalf of Leeds and Bradford Corporations. In 1935 it was expanded by 35 acres and scheduled flights began, with a service from London to Newcastle (later extended to Edinburgh) stopping there. During the war the airport was requisitioned by the RAF and Yeadon became an important site for military aircraft testing, with the Avro shadow aircraft factory built nearby. Civil flights recommenced in 1947 though a military presence at the airport continued until 1957. A new runway opened in 1965 and a new terminal and control tower in 1968. The airport continued to expand with the introduction of package holidays in the 1970s, while in the 1980s and 1990s the visits of Concorde proved a major attraction. After the removal of restrictions on night flying in 1994,the number of charter flights increased greatly,and passenger numbers have grown rapidly in recent years. In 2007 nearly 2.9 million passengers used the airport, more than twice as many as ten years earlier. In the same year the airport, which had been in public ownership since its inception, was sold to Bridgepoint Capital for £145.5 million.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.