Image shows single decker trolley bus, number 502 in New Farnley. The City Square - Whitehall Road - New Farnley Terminus route was the first trolley bus system to open in the United Kingdom, commencing the service on 20th June 1911. There were initially two cars number 501 and 502 (seen here) and they were painted in the same livery as the trams. The trolley bus system was thought to be ideal for less densely populated areas as it was more cost effective to run. The first four trolley buses (501-504) for the New Farnley route were built by Hurst, Nelson Company. The chassis were manufactured by the Railless Electric Traction Company. Two more routes followed in 1915, Guiseley to Otley and Guiseley to Burley-in-Wharfedale. The buses for these services were built by Leeds City Tramways and the Chassis maker was Bradford-Brown.