Looking south-east along Lower Town Street from Upper Town Street. The junction with Waterloo Lane is on the left, with banks on either side : the Midland Bank (possibly the London City and Midland at the time) and the Yorkshire Penny Bank. On the right is the junction with Hough Lane followed by the Cardigan Arms public house. Tramlines are on the road, indicating a date of between 1905 and 1938. The area looks completely different now with all of these buildings having been demolished.