Image shows the fly presses used to manufacture metal checks or discs at the small, family run business of Ardill & Co. at Ridge Works in Meanwood Road. The business originated in the 19th Century with John Ardill. An 1872 Directory for Leeds lists him as a 'clasp manufacturer' at number 7 Fountain Street and at that time he was living at number 5 Willow Terrace Road. By 1882 he was in business with his brother Thomas under the name of John Ardill & Co., medallists, die sinkers, stampers & piercers & rubber stamp makers, with premises at number 10 Little Woodhouse Street. It was John's sons, Clifford (born 1880) and Leslie (born 1882) who continued the business. The firm had moved to Ridge Works in Meanwood Road. This image was taken when the grandson of John Ardill, Brian Ardill (born 1907), was running the business.