Colour-tinted postcard of Abbey House. Originally a gatehouse for Kirkstall Abbey, it became detached from the ruins when a new turnpike road (now Abbey Road) was built in 1827. Leeds City Council bought the house in 1925 and opened it up as Abbey House Museum in 1927. The postcard was posted on 2nd May 1906, though the title "Abbey House, Old Leeds" suggests the picture may be from an earlier date.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.