Postcard with a 1940 postmark showing Cookridge Convalescent Hospital on Hospital Lane. Built in a Gothic vernacular style, it opened in 1869 to provide a place for patients treated at Leeds General Infirmary to continue their recovery. John Metcalfe Smith of Beckett's Bank donated a large sum towards the £10,000 cost and the remote rural area of Cookridge was chosen as an ideal location for recuperation. During the First World War it was requisitioned to care for wounded servicemen and assumed a similar role during World War Two. From 1952 Cookridge specialised in the treatment of cancer but closed in January 2008 to be replaced by a new £220 million cancer centre at the Bexley Wing of St. James's Hospital.