Postcard view showing Temple Newsam House and Gardens, seen from the south. This stately home was built on an estate once belonging to the Knights Templar, but Sir Philip Darcy was the owner when the house was constructed between 1500 and 1520. Later Henry VIII gave the property to his niece Margaret, whose son Lord Darnley (the future husband of Mary Queen of Scots) was born there in 1545. In 1622 the estate was purchased by Sir Arthur Ingram whose family owned it for 300 years until it was bought by Leeds Corporation in 1922 and opened up to the public.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.