6th June 2006.
View of the "Castle" which stands near the head of Waterloo Lake in Roundhay Park. It is a folly, built for the Nicholson family in 1821 by George Nettleton, a local master builder. It was designed to represent the gates of a medieval castle and at that time had a wooden roof which enabled the upper storey to be used as a summerhouse and sewing room for the Nicholson girls. It was also a venue for shooting parties where luncheon would be served. Pheasant were bred in Castle Field and Keepers Garth.