2nd September 2005.
Image shows the Classic Corinthian style drinking fountain located in Roundhay Park, near Waterloo Lake. It was presented to the town by John Barran M.P in a special ceremony held on 3rd April 1882. Leeds manufacturer, John Barran, held office of Mayor of leeds in 1870 and 1871 and had been instrumental in acquiring Roundhay Park for the people of Leeds. The fountain is circular with an 18' diameter (approx 5.5 metres)It has the appearance of a temple with a raised dais approached by four steps. The large basins are of moulded, cut and polished red granite. The fountains were housed in arched niches carved with shells. All the stone for the fountain was supplied by Park Spring quarries and it was built to designs by architect Thomas Ambler of Park Place in Leeds.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.