leodis logo

Leeds City Council

Open archives compliant site

Supported by BIG Lottery Fund

Enrich UK Lottery Fund

John Barran's Drinking Fountain, Roundhay Park


John Barran
Description:
May 2005. View of the drinking fountain in Roundhay Park gifted to the town by john Barran, M.P. in a ceremony held in the park on 3rd April 1882. It was designed by Thomas Ambler in the classical style, so as to compliment the mansion building. The stone for the fountain came from Park Spring Quarry and it was built by stone mason, Charles Myers of Woodhouse Street. The bronze fountains were supplied by bell founders of London, Messrs Warner and Sons and the stained glass was by the St Helen's glass company. The intricate carving was the work of T.W. Appleyard of Cookridge Street. The fountain contained 20 taps, each attached to a bronze and electro-silver plated cup. In his speech of thanks at the ceremony the Mayor of Leeds, Alderman George Tatham, said, to the amusement of those present, "In order that the park might be enjoyed by the inhabitants to the full there must be better weather, and there must be better means of communication between it and the town. No-one could doubt that it had a refining and elevating effect on those who visited the park; and it would be still more so if the liquors sold in it were all like that which came from the fountain" This was with reference to the licensing of the Roundhay Park Hotel, where unruly behaviour by people under the influence of alcohol had caused problems for the park.

User Comments:
This photograph cannot be purchased due to copyright restrictions.