Postcard view of St. Matthew's Church on Wood Lane, the parish church of Chapel Allerton. This church, designed by G.F. Bodley and opened in 1900, was built as a replacement for the old one on Church Lane, which stood on a site occupied by a church since the 13th century. The old church had undergone various rebuilds and enlargements but was still found to be inadequate for the needs of the expanding congregation by the late 19th century so the new church seen here was commissioned.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.