Postcard showing the Old Church at Chapel Allerton with the graveyard in front. Dedicated to St. Matthew, this church dates from the mid 18th century but the site on Church Lane had been occupied by a church since at least the 13th century, though in earlier times it was a chapel of Leeds St. Peter. After various attempts to enlarge the church in the 19th century it was deemed unsuitable for the growing population so a new church was built on Wood Lane, opening in 1900. The old building continued to be used for some time for meetings and particularly for funerals, but it was finally demolished in 1935 after the top of the tower became insecure.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.