Mid to late 1950s.
View of Bronte House Preparatory School taken in the mid to late 1950s. The school was originally known as Woodhouse Grove Preparatory School and is the Junior Department of Woodhouse Grove. The building, now Grade two listed, was originally a house and dates from 1872. It replaced a former mansion called Underwood House where Charlotte Bronte was employed as a governess in 1841. In 1899 the Gothic Revival style house was owned by the Mayor of Bradford, William Akroyd, who had it enlarged. Bronte House Preparatory School was founded here in 1934 under the guidance of the Reverend Dr. H.B.Workman. the secretary of the Methodist Education Committee. It was for boys aged between 5 and 11 years. The school became co-ed in 1985 and an Early Years addition, Ashdown Lodge, opened in September 1993.