Image shows Calverley C. of E. Primary School located in Town Gate behind the Parish Church of St.Wilfred. A church school had existed since the 17th century (Sir Walter Calverley attended for 6 years from 1675). It was originally situated in the churchyard but was demolished in 1840 and rebuilt on a different site outside the churchyard. The Lord of the Manor found the new site unsatisfactory and again the school was pulled down and rebuilt in 1878. It had places for 150 pupils and cost around £1.700 to build. It was intended as a memorial to the late vicar, Reverand Alfred Brown M.A. and was instigated by parishioners and friends of St.Wilfred's.