View of Hick Bros, ironmongers located on Leeds Bridge. The building has been commemorated for two historical events. An inscription on a decorative corner stone marks the founding of the 'Band of Hope' in 1847 with the involvement of prominent Leeds Temperance worker, the Reverend Jabez Tunnicliffe. More recently, a blue plaque has been mounted adjacent to it in memory of the pioneering work by Louis Le Prince who took what is thought to be the world's first sequence of moving pictures in 1888. He used a single lens camera from a position in a second floor window of Hicks Brothers. Part of the resulting piece of film can be viewed on the Home Page of the Leodis website.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.