View of the premises of Hicks Bros, ironmongers with the sign depicting a kettle. Part of Leeds Bridge is visible in the foreground, left. On the wall of the building is an inscription that reads : 'In 1847 at a meeting on these premises the 'Band of Hope' movement was formed, its title being suggested by the Reverend Jabez Tunnicliffe, a prominent temperance worker'. What is thought to be the earliest sequence of moving pictures showing activity on Leeds Bridge was taken in 1888 by Louis Le Prince from a second storey window in this building. He used his famous single lens camera and nowadays the event has been commemorated by Leeds Civic Trust in the form of a Blue Plaque.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.