This gravestone in Beckett Street Cemetery commemorates 3 generations of a military family. Frederick Short the elder, listed at the bottom, had served with the 4th Light Dragoons at the Battle of Balaclava in the Crimean War, taking part in the infamous Charge of the Light Brigade for which he was awarded a Distinguished Conduct Medal. He was promoted to Sergeant Major and later transferred to the Yorkshire Hussars Yeomanry Cavalry as an Instructor. Though born in Windsor, he moved to Leeds on leaving the army where he was listed as a beer retailer at Carlton Street in an 1867 directory. However, he was adjudicated bankrupt on 11th November 1869, described as a former Innkeeper now out of business residing at Regent Street in Chapel Allerton. In the 1871 census he was living with his Irish wife Elizabeth and six children at the Horse and Trumpet Yard, then in 1881 at Garden House, Carlisle Road, Hunslet. He died in May 1886 and was interred in Somerset. His son and grandson however were buried here. Frederick Short, his son, commemorated at the top, was a Sergeant Major in the 4th Hussars and in the West Somerset Yeomanry. He died in 1904 aged 52 years. Grandson Frederick Francis Short, Corporal of the 1st Royal Dragoons, died in South Africa in the Boer War on 26th January 1901 aged 18. The gravestone shows a symbol of crossed swords with a busby as worn by the Hussars. The busby, complete with red "jelly-bag" hanging over one side, is still part of the ceremonial dress of Hussars today. Photograph courtesy of Julie Cryer.