24th April 1928.
This view outside St. Lawrence Clinic on Crawshaw Road shows the Duke and Duchess of York (the future King George VI and Queen Elizabeth) with members of the reception committee after they had performed the opening ceremony of the clinic. This Clinic and Child Welfare Centre was set in the former St. Lawrence House, donated to the town by Councillor John Ben Ward and his wife of Larkfield, Pudsey. The clinic provided up-to-date equipment including a sun-ray department which the Duke and Duchess tried out. This was believed to be the first ever royal visit to Pudsey and as well as opening the clinic the Duke and Duchess opened a new Children's Playground at Pudsey Park, (also provided by the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. Ward), laid the foundation stone for the new swimming baths to be built at a cost of £12,000 (now part of Pudsey Leisure Centre and visited the Cenotaph where they laid the Ex-Servicemen's Wreath on the Memorial. A luncheon and reception for the royal couple was held at the Secondary School while afternoon tea was provided at the Manor Hall.