Early view of tramlines in Park Lane, looking in the direction of the City centre. At the right edge, at the junction with Marlborough Street, is the business of James Nelson & Sons Ltd, butchers of number 177 Park Lane. Nelson's had numerous branches in Leeds at this time. Where the horse and cart is visible is the Pine Apple Inn, located at numbers 167 and 169 Park Lane between the junctions with Lower Hanover Street and Chatham Street. This area is now occupied by Marlborough Grange and Marlborough Towers, built in 1966. Dominating the left-hand side of the image is Park Lane Council School, later to become the site of Leeds College of Technology (before the Cookridge Street building opened in 1956). The school was situated between Hanover Terrace and Hanover Place. Just seen, over the wall adjacent to the school is a sign for 'Herbert Ashford, pianoforte tuner' at number 5 Hanover Place. The properties in Hanover Place were set back from the road with long front gardens. The stone gateposts flank the entrance to Hanover Place and access to Back Hanover Square.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.