Image shows George Henry Underwood playing the organ at All Saints Church in Richmond Hill. He was the organist of All Saints from 1937 until 1962 when he retired. The photograph was taken in 1962 when Mr. Underwood was about to move away from the Leeds area to be nearer family in Staffordshire. Mr. Underwood was also the Choirmaster, a member of the Parish Church Council of All Saints and the manager of the Day Schools. The organ Mr. Underwood is playing is a two manual instrument located at the east end of the north aisle. It was built by the Leeds firm of Abbott & Smith, founded by Isaac Abbott in 1869. All Saints Church, consecrated on All Saints Day in 1850, underwent demolition in 1980 and a replacement church was built in Pontefract Lane. We would very much like to know what happened to the organ after the closure of the mid-nineteenth century All Saints Church so we look forward to any comments, recollections and reminiscences.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.