View shows St. Mark's Street running north-east from Woodhouse Lane towards St. Mark's Road. The junction with Crossfield Street is on the left. In the background is St. Mark's Church. This was one of the 'Million' churches built after the Battle of Waterloo, when the government committed one million pounds for the building of new churches in the heavily populated urban areas. It opened in 1826 and cost £10,000. The church closed for services in 2001.