An undated view, probably of the 1890's, from The Cabinet Album of views of Leeds. Charles Thornton, proprietor of the City Varieties, submitted plans to build Leeds' first arcade on the site of the Old Talbot Inn in 1875 and it was opened in May 1878. The head of a woman set in the wall above the Briggate entrance is a representation of Gainsborough's Duchess of Devonshire, stolen in 1878. The clock at the Lands Lane end of the arcade was installed in the same year. It was constructed by William Potts and Sons of Leeds, and the life-sized figures, from Scott's Ivanhoe, of Friar Tuck, Richard Coeur de Lion, Robin Hood and Gurth the swineherd, which strike the hours and quarters, were made by John Wormald Appleyard, the Leeds sculptor who also did work in the Grand Theatre and the Central Library.