Engraving depicting the Mayor of Leeds, Alderman Edwin Woodhouse, surrounded by dignitaries, as he opens the door to the new Municipal Buildings on the 17th April 1884. The £300 prize for the best design of the building was awarded to architect, George Corson, who was originally from Dumfries but joined his brother's practice in Leeds in 1849. The Municipal Buildings were designed to concentrate all the administrative council departments of Leeds under one roof and are situated in Calverley Street.
Corrections:Corrections are welcomed by the department. Corrections will be verified before appearing on the site - this may take up to 4 weeks.